18 November 2010

Bohemian Waxwings and Wannabes


I stepped out onto the back deck this afternoon and noticed that the ash tree had a flock of 50 or so Bohemian Waxwings. I was happy that I was able to go back into the house and grab the camera without the flock getting spooked and flying away. The notable thing about them, in fact, was that they were all resting quietly - not at all like a flock of starlings in a tree. These guys aren't exactly rare, just irregular, but it's a nice treat to see them all the same.

By fun coincidence, there's a nice essay at New Escapologist today called Defining the Bohemian. I was thinking about it on my walk this morning. I decided before I'd gotten very far, that although it sounds so appealing to be a Bohemian (absinthe, anyone?), I don't think I am one, and besides I don't care about what sort of category of person I might fall into, which may be my most Bohemian characteristic. I was glad to get that sorted before I had gone too far, because carrying some kind of vague Bohemian inadequacy around was bound to slow me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...