24 May 2011

Monday forest photo: May 24, 2011

9:00am 20C cloudy
 No, I didn't get raptured or even hauled off by a swarm of mosquitoes. My camera was galivanting around Toronto yesterday, so not available for a Monday forest photo. I think this week looks like last week, except someone took a crayon and added more green.


There are lots of violets everywhere, even some yellow ones.


There's a patch of wild columbine with these beautiful ornate flowers.


I think this is what is called wild lily-of-the-valley. I was a lot more sure of that before I tried to identify the next one, which I think is star flowered Solomon's seal, also known as wild lily-of-the-valley. I guess this is the limitation of using common names.

3 comments:

  1. One plant is called a Canada May Flower (Maianthemum canadense), and the other is a false Solomon's seal (Maianthemum racemosum), which has an edible root. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the identification and for stopping by the shack! Wikipedia does say the plant has a strong laxative effect, so not to consume too much. Good advice for any unfamiliar new wild food I'd guess.

    I've really been enjoying your blog. I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in foraging wild foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last one looks more like Maianthemum stellatum to me (fewer and larger flowers, less plume-like and more spike-like).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...