18 November 2008

This might pinch a little

Anyone who has read more than a few of my blog posts knows that I have a tendency to rant about over-consumption and the end of the world as we know it. I've just had my thermostat-lowering, paper-recycling, organic world view shaken up, once again, by Derrick Jensen. He's written a graphic novel with Stephanie McMillan called As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial. They basically advocate dismantling our entire industrial civilization, using whatever means possible. Last year, I read Endgame Volume 2, which if you make it through, will have you feeling guilty for not blowing up dams. The premise of both of these books is that as humans we have no right to destroy the livelihood of wild creatures for our own financial gain. He doesn't mean we should consume a little less and minimize our impact, he means we should cease and desist destroying the environment.

One thing that comes to mind is that our corporate civilization seems to be collapsing under the weight of its own excess without any help at all from one-eyed terrorist bunnies planting dynamite (read the book). Maybe that's not so bad. One thing's for certain. If you read Derrick Jensen, you'll never look at the status quo the same way again.

2 comments:

  1. I read some of your posts...nice blog. (I subscribed.) A lot of it is stuff I already knew, but stated differently and perhaps more succinctly. I glad to see that your are acting on your beliefs. So many people are paralyzed by the pace of events. Do you ever visit www.peakoil.com, or maybe www.latoc.com?



    I'm a videographer, and I produce a lot of peace & justice, environmental, alternative videos. Here's a 3-part video of Derrick Jensen at Binghamton University which you may find interesting: http://essentialdissent.blogspot.com/search/label/Derrick%20Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Shack! I think I would count myself among the paralyzed, but thanks for your comments. I used to visit latoc all the time, but I got peak oil fatigue. It's difficult to find a balance between panic and complacency.

    Thanks for the links to your Derrick Jensen videos. I've watched about half of the first one so far, and I'll definitely watch them all. The conventional middle class mom side of me finds it disturbing to find him so compelling.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...