05 November 2007

Dream kitchen


This kitchen is powered by a 1937 Findlay Condor, built in Carleton Place, Ontario. Luckily, it was a relatively popular model in its day, so parts are available. I have a romantic notion about using a wood cookstove, and it will be interesting to see how the theoretical and actual experience compare. I have ordered a book, Woodstove Cookery by Jane Cooper, to help me out. What I really need is an experienced woodstove cook to demonstrate. Luckily, I have a family with healthy appetites who will help me eat the experiments.

2 comments:

  1. Have you made much progress with the woodstove cookery?

    Here's a couple of tip's I've developed over the last few years.

    (1) A Dutch oven is invaluable: a stew, soup, or mess of beans will slow-cook overnight at the back of the stove or in the oven after the fire is bedded down.

    (2) Removing a cooktop allows a wok to nestle close enough to the fire to get the right kind of hot for a stir-fry. No electric range does as well.

    (3) The warmer is perfect for rising bread or making yoghurt over night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually....we just installed our replacement stove this weekend, so not much experience yet. See the Jan 27 post.

    Thanks for the tips, I'm really looking forward to trying them out. So far, we're only weekenders at the Shack, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to learn, but I'm looking forward to having all the drafts and dampers and the oven mastered.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...