11 October 2007

In the mood for food

This is the apple orchard so far. Actually, it's one tree. There are other apple trees but no apples on any of them. Unfortunately, these apples are so mealy, I'm not sure they're good for anything.

Our neighbour has offered to plow the garden this fall, I just have to mark out where I want it. Since I won't have running water in the garden, I'm going to space things out quite widely, so it will be much larger than my previous intensive garden. A book which I've been studying pretty carefully is Gardening When it Counts by Steve Solomon. In addition to the how-to stuff, he talks about gardening to maximize nutrition. The subject of declining nutrition in food is covered very well by The End of Food by Thomas Pawlick, but Mr. Solomon offers some solutions. He also runs the Soil and Health library, which everyone should visit.

1 comment:

  1. I've just started reading Mr. Solomon's book, and I'm finding it very valuable and informative. Thanks so much for the link to the soil and health library - looks like a wealth of info available there as well!

    I surely do like your "shack"!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...