19 September 2011

Monday Forest Photo: September 19, 2011


1:00pm 21C sunny
Another glorious sunny and dry day. We've had very little rain this summer, so the soil is cracking in places and even the wet spots are dry. The pond is down to almost nothing, and the grass is brown except over the septic field and the areas with clay soil that were squishy underfoot until practically May. The forecast calls for some showers tonight, but lately, mere showers haven't actually resulted in much water falling. And what does is quickly absorbed by the parched soil and you can't even tell it's rained. Living in an area blessed with plenty of precipitation, this single season of dryness has actually been quite welcome. I'm sure that if it was to continue, there would be worries about the trees, and wells and water levels in the river, but for now, I am enjoying the fine weather.


This week did mark our first frost, so I decided to harvest the winter squash along with the last of the cucumbers. I took my chances with tomatoes, peppers and eggplants, because I could easily cover them, and I was able to keep them alive this time to hopefully ripen some more fruit before the next frost. The orange beauty in the centre (and the two smaller squash on either side) is a Potimarron squash grown from seed given to me by Ottawa Gardener this spring. It is said to taste of chestnuts. I think I will keep it somewhere where I can admire it for a while before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...